An independent study at Benzie County Central Schools identified about $14 million of improvement needs. The school district selected Energy Systems Group to develop a $1.3 million comprehensive performance contract that would provide numerous energy efficiency and building improvements without the need to generate new capital, or burden taxpayers.
The innovative “paid from guaranteed energy savings” project has resulted in over $138,000 dollars in energy and operational savings annually.
As a result of this project, the Benzie County Schools District received over $70,000 in utility rebates for lighting, pipe insulation, steam trap repairs & replacements, demand control ventilation and variable frequency drives.
Energy Systems Group donated a wind generator to the school district to help educate math and science students about renewable energy applications; ESG is programming the turbine system to allow for live data access throughout the school district. (View Wind Turbine in Action)
Reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 632 metric tons is equivalent to eliminating emissions from 196 vehicles annually.
- District-wide lighting upgrades
- State-of the art building management systems (web based)
- Ceiling mounted motion sensors
- New boiler installed can be converted from steam to hot water
- District-wide lighting occupancy sensors
- Provided all new piping & insulation for a deteriorating heating system at Crystal Lake Elementary